Followers

Tuesday 7 July 2009

Dominic Sharkey - After Malawi

Now I’m back home I’m finding it hard to face going back to normal life after my wonderful experience in Malawi. Before the trip, I couldn’t wait to get to Malawi. During it, I couldn’t wait to get home. And now it’s all over, I wish I was back there.

No words of mine can really do any justice to our time in Malawi – the stories we can tell, and the hundreds of photos we have, will only reflect a shadow of what we experienced.

The most effective and (I hope) life-changing part of the trip was the people of Malawi. The way in which they celebrate their faith, live in great optimism, and laugh, despite their apparent poverty, made me think that although we have so much more materially; they really have a greater quality of life than us. We have worked hard to give them money, new buildings, Christmas presents, water pumps, but they just lived their normal lives, and gave us so much more.

I very much hope that in the future I will have the opportunity to return to Malawi, and help in any way that my career in Veterinary Medicine will allow.

I must take this final opportunity to thank all of the teachers for their superb organisation and management of the entire trip, from when the planning first began, for selecting me as one of the 6 pupils to represent St. Matthew’s Academy, and for being such a pleasure to be around and share my experience with.

Finally I would like to acknowledge my good friends: Michael N, Michael D, Caroline, Jennifer and Monica. I feel privileged to have been part of this with all of you. You have made it so memorable and enjoyable for me (despite the nasty chilli trick), and we had such a good laugh.

All the best to everyone!

Dominic x

P.S. – If anyone wants to see my photos or journal (yes – I’ve typed it up – I’m that sad) – dom.sharkey@hotmail.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Dominic

    Just like you, this is a very thoughtful and reflective blog which sums up very well so much of what we hoped would be the experience of the group. It was about sharing and learning and you have captured that.

    Have a great summer. Good luck with your studies next year - but make sure you come in to see us whenever you can.

    And, no, you aren't sad at all!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete