Followers

Thursday 9 July 2009

Monica's Malawi Blog

It's so hard to put my experience of Malawi into words. It's taken me a couple of days to build up the courage to actually write this - I get all teary when I think about my time over there. Tears of happiness though, of course :). The one word that I keep using to describe the trip is 'incredible'. I had no idea what to expect from the trip before going out but it was definately the best 10 days I've ever spent out of the country - even if there was no air conditioning on our bus!!

The people of Malawi are some of the friendliest and most welcoming people I have ever met. I was made to feel right at home and that they were happy to have me there. I miss them all already. They provided us with so many laughs + are without a doubt the best dancers in the world! I think it was their smiles that kept me going through the week. I had no time to be upset or miss home too much with everyone around.
Even though I was only there for 10 days, I can definately say that I have fallen in love with Malawi and it's people - The Warm Heart of Africa indeed :D.
It totally baffled me when I first witnessed the happiness of everyone despite the fact that they lived in a very poor country and literally had nothing..but it soon became clear to me that family, friends and faith is all that is needed to keep your spirits high - not the latest ipod or wardrobes full of nice clothes!
Maybe its not for me to say, but I feel like my attitude to almost everything has changed for the better - I even tidied the kitchen while my mum was at work today!

I cannot wait to return to Malawi in the near future. I haven't decided what I will return to do but I know for definate I will be going back. Such a beautiful country with beautiful people.

Just want to thank everyone I went to Malawi with. You were a fantastic group to be with. Thank you for the incredible memories.

Also a quick Hello to Lesley (hope I spelt that right). All the best for the remainder of your visit.

Monica xxxxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Monica,
    glad to hear that Malawi has changed some parts of your life already.I'm glad to say that i have also had that experience as Michael phoned me at work today to suggest that he make the tea tonight...wow, shocked barely describs how i felt...and he made a good job of it too....takecare and have a happy holiday.Best wishes...Christine(Michael N's Mum).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica

    Thanks for the post - and thanks to the two boys for their earlier posts as well. All of you contributed so much to the experience - what you got out of it was in direct proportion (note the Mathematical reference there, Bernie) to what you put into it.

    Have a great summer - and I will see you in the new session.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete