Followers

Monday 13 July 2009

Mon 13 July

Apologies for not blogging for a few days due to the following reasons: Fri – too tired to walk into town, Sat – too busy & Sun - Internet café closed.

On Friday there was a minor miracle when I actually slept through the bells and missed Mass. I think the exhausting schedule from the previous week plus the daily 6am starts had finally caught up with me - at home I can’t even sleep through a text message beep. As a result I had a long lie (until 6:30am!!) and took it easy for the rest of the day with my usual couple of hrs in the staff room in the morning and a visit to St. Peter’s orphan group in the afternoon. I really enjoy my time chatting with the teachers each day. They tell me fascinating stories about Malawian culture including witchcraft, circumcision, child marriages and death rituals. On Fri evening I set up the laptop and projector to watch a DVD with Fr. Banda and the seminarians. I chose Jerry Maguire thinking there were no “dodgy bits” – I was wrong!

I visited Mary Martha Orphan Care Centre again on Saturday. I had planned on a very informal visit to spend some time with the orphans but even with the little notice I gave them they still managed to prepare a really nice welcome ceremony with singing, poems, games and speeches from the Director, village headman, the founder Mr. Kavuta and myself (due to absence of Big Head!) We planned a party for the orphans on 25th (funded by St. Matthew’s Maths dept.) and I asked them to think about a proposal for the donation from St. Matthew’s, which I’ll present at the party. I asked Mr. Kavuta about how prevalent HIV is among the orphans and unfortunately there is a large number. Celia – you would have found it hard to cope when he pointed out certain kids, including his own grandson, who were HIV+. It was heartbreaking but as usual they had smiles on their faces. Even some of the volunteer workers there are positive.

On Saturday evening I was invited to dinner at Daphne Okoronko’s. Daphne is Nigerian, married with 2 gorgeous kids, Chukes 5 and Ingo 3, and was formerly Head of St. Peter’s but she gave it up due to Cultural differences. We had a really lovely meal followed by a very interesting chat about Malawian culture compared to Nigerian culture.

Sun was a bit of a non-event due to no water and electricity for the whole day. Welcome to the real Malawi! This is a weekly occurrence but when the whole group was here unfortunately it only went off for 10 mins. I worked on the statistics project for a couple of hours, which is almost at completion. The general knowledge quiz was fairly close with St. Peter’s scoring 47% and St. Matthew’s 58%. However 91% of St. Peter’s students answered 23 x 12 correctly compared to only 58% of St. Matthew’s - shocking!

Thanks for all the blog comments. They mean even more to me when I’m here alone and it’s been great reading about all the kid’s experiences as well. I think they haven proven without doubt that Celia, Eric and & I couldn’t have picked a better group of kids to share this experience with us.

Busy day today as Maggie Frame from Greenwood Academy is visiting for the day - details tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Bern, certainly sounds as though you are continuing to enjoy your 2009 Malawi experience (even if you are having long lie ins!!). Reading through everyone's blogs it sounds as though you were not the only one to enjoy the trip. I think a big round of applause is well earned to you and everyone else who helped to organise the experience.
    Sorry to read the sad news of the teacher who was a troubled soul, we will keep the family in our prayers.
    Keep writing the blog whenever you get the chance. It's great to keep up to date with your travels.
    No doubt hear from you soon.
    Keep up the good work.
    Mags & Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi miss glad to hear you enjoyed a "long lie" as i probs slept till about 10 that day haha.
    I'm not going to continue being this lazy as i start a new part time job on wednesday!
    Missing Mzuzu and everyone soooo much and really want to be back there right now as I am dying of boredom here. Oooohh Gerry Maguire!! Oooppss big mistake, how did they react? lol
    Pawemi,
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete