Followers

Thursday 9 July 2009

Jenny's Experience In The Warm Heart Of Africa

I really don't where to start to be honest as I could sit on this computer chair for days talking about Mzuzu. I can hand on my heart say that it is now my favourite place in the world and am already thinking about when I can go back.
At the beginning of the week I actually thought I was dying on having to rise at 6am with crazy dogs disrupting my dreams as a result of some unexpected morning bells. However as the week past, although I may still have looked and felt shattered, I truly realised that there wasn't actually the slightest thing wrong with me and I was perfectly capable of rising at this time to attend mass and it wasn't actually the end of the world if I had to experience a bit of tiredness.
I was amazed to discover that such a warm, welcoming place really did exsist in this world as I had never came across anywhere with such genuinely friendly people in it in Scotland. The inhabitants of the area we were based really did go out of their way to welcome our group when we arrived and continued to help us feel most at home throughout the whole stay.
At St.Peter's Secondary School I have made friends for life and will never forget my good friend Patience as she looked after Caroline, Monica and I so well and is such a lovely person. I'll always remember the day we all ended up making up a dance routine when we were supposed to be playing netball and they are all such INCREDIBLE dancers!
I don't think any of us could have done it without the support of each other. I have to thank the teachers for everything and just for making the trip possible. They were all such amazing company - even if they didn't let me forget the embarrassing 'passion fanta' comment I made to the Bishop - and we had so many laughs that I lost count of how many times I ended up crying with laughter. I think Miss McFadden is an absolute star for being so committed to helping the schools and Orphanages and I know I'm speaking on behalf of all 6 of us pupils when I say that we are so grateful that you would choose us to share this experience with you.
Of course, I couldn't forget to mention my homies :- Caroline, Michael N, Michael D, Monica and Dominic - who are all awesome people who are so full of life with decent banter that I think I might just have to stay friends with them ...heehee !!
On seeing the extent of the poverty in Mzuzu I have become evenmore determined to continue raising money and maintain this link between the schools as I didn't realise how much they depend on our contributions and didn't even comprehend how much I would learn from them!
I have a sneaky suspicion that this is only the beginning of our relationship with Malawi and that it will continue grow and grow as we help them and as they teach us
that it's perfectly possible to be happy without countless possessions.

1 comment:

  1. Monire

    Have been following the blog when we can. Very upset to hear about the teacher's suicide. Was his name Abbat who was in charge of the football team? Please give our regards to his wife and family.

    We are missing the group. Pleased to hear everyone has arrived home safely. Still overawed with the experience of the time in Mzuzu and St Peter's schools.

    The 2 day safari was superb with us being up close to lions and leopards during the night time drives. Today the experience at the Victoria Falls was just out of this world. Tell Father Chunda we have discovered roads worse than those in Malawi.

    Bernadette, glad to hear you are back in circulation in Mzuzu. Looking forward to hitting the town with you in Mzuzu. See you on the 15th. Give our regards to all.

    All the best!

    Paul & Anne

    ReplyDelete