Followers

Monday 20 July 2009

Paul's blog

This is the 1st chance I have had to post my thoughts on the experience of coming to Malawi. The programme has been exhausting, even for Anne and myself after the group left. Where do I start? What will be my lasting memories of the trip?

I have been completely overwhelmed by the welcome we as a group received from everybody we have come into contact with. I have never shaken so many hands in my life as I have in the past couple of weeks. I have still not mastered the language pronunciation, especially the greetings. I still can not get beyond "Monire" and "Yewo", despite the people's attempts to educate me. But, my efforts to speak the greetings have caused hilarity. I love to see the children smile; their whole faces seem to light up. The Malawians like to call their country the "Warm Heart of Africa". For me their reputation is well justified. I have felt very much at home here. When Anne and I returned from our trip to Victoria Falls it felt like coming home.

When we 1st arrived I was moved by seeing the conditions of the girl’s boarding school, the living conditions of many people and the working environment for the pupils and teachers. In a country where a pencil or a pen is a desirable item for many children it is difficult not to make comparisons with the amount of possessions we have back home and realise we take a lot of things for granted e.g. hot running water, flushing toilets. However, I didn’t feel sorry for the Malawians since they have a great enthusiasm and happiness, which makes you feel they have a lot more than we have back home with regards to possessions. I was struck by their enthusiasm for their faith. A highlight for me on the trip has been attending the Masses which are very lively with singing and dancing; the people really know how to celebrate their faith. Recently Anne and I were privileged to attend an ordination which was an unforgettable experience. It lasted 4 hours but felt like 1 hour.

The trip has made me a lot more aware of the great difference the efforts of Bernadette, the staff from St Michael’s and now St Matthew’s have made to a little corner of Malawi in helping both the orphans and St Peter’s school. I was very moved to hear a lady from one of the Orphanages humbly show appreciation for all the help they had received and explain how they wouldn’t have been able to give the children Christmas dinner this year without the help from St Matthew’s. Again, it was very moving to see the joy of the orphans when they received the gifts which our group had brought over from Scotland. The pupils made me aware of how great a struggle it is for many to get an education where they have to pay fees and provide their own learning materials.

Despite Bernadette’s scare stories about the food, I have eaten very well, enjoyed trying the different Malawian dishes and even getting to like the nsima. I still don’t like chicken but have got by on their various vegetable dishes. Anne and I intend to buy a Malawian cook book to try out on our return to Scotland.

Lastly, it was a great pleasure to be part of the group which came out from St Matthew’s. I was amazed at how easy our students fitted so well into the school life at St Peter’s and were a big hit with the Malawian pupils. A big highlight for me was the farewell concert, seeing Michael N leading the group in playing the bagpipes and our group performing the Scottish country dances in front of the whole school.

It has been a truly unforgettable experience. I am really looking forward to the group from St Peter’s coming over to Scotland in 2010.


Paul

2 comments:

  1. Monire Bernadette, Paul, Anne, & Fr Chunda!

    Hope you enjoyed your time at the lake and that your batteries are now fully recharged. As per usual it's always great to read about your experiences (and travels!!). Stephen has asked me to thank you Bern for the birthday card. It is certainly the most original card he received and he loves it.

    Can't believe it's just over a week before you return to sunny Scotland. Looking forward to reading future blogs, but looking more forward to seeing you and hearing your experiences face-to-face.

    Take care. No doubt hear from you soon via another blog :-)

    Love, Mags (& Stephen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying your visit,and finding it meaningful, Paul (and Anne). Look forward to seeing you singing and dancing at the next Mass in St Matthew's.

    BW

    ReplyDelete