Followers

Thursday 9 July 2009

Michael D's Malawi Blog

When I found out that I had been chosen to go on the trip to Malawi I was excited but also a little aprehensive. I tried to prepare for the trip by talking to others who had visited the country before but looking back now I realise that nothing could have prepared me for this experience.

Since I have returned, people have been asking me about the trip and one of the questions that has stuck out is, "What was the best part of the week?" There were so many highlights through the week and so i find it difficult to pick only one, but the warm welcome and the friendly people will stay with me forever. Even though they live in difficult conditions, they are so happy and this really makes you appreciate what we've got and gives you a different outlook on life. Going into the schools and meeting the pupils was great. A few friends in particular that I made were Frank, Hastings, Montford and the head girl, Pilirani. I will never forget them as the hand-carved giraffe that Montford gave me will always remind me of them.

The whole experience was enriched by the fantastic group of pupils and teachers. A special bond was developed through having this experiance and new friends were made.

I'm very grateful and proud to have been chosen to go to Malawi and I'd like to thank Mr Allen, Miss McFadden and Miss McArthur for giving me this opportunity. I'd also like to thank the rest of the teachers for having put up with us through the week. It really was an honour to represent St Matthew's and I now appreciate the difference our fundraising and support can make.

I am now looking forward to the return visit in March when we will be able to return some of the hospitality shown to us. I hope that we can make their experience as great as ours.

Malawi and its people now have a special place in my heart and hopefully I will one day be able to return.

Before Finnishing, I would like to say thanks for all the support and help that everyone has given us through the past six months.
Michael D xx

No comments:

Post a Comment