Followers

Tuesday 7 July 2009

Tuesday 7 July

Monire mose,

I’m now back in my second home Mzuzu. I arrived last night to find that my room, which was previously inhabited by Eric, has been upgraded – it now has a fridge, kettle and hotplate! Fr. Chunda was apologising that they forgot to put beers in the fridge for me! They have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome at the priests’ house, which I’m sharing with 4 priests and 2 seminarians. My constant appeal to live simply as a Malawian is falling on deaf ears. Dinner last night consisted of chicken, beef, rice, nsima, chips, beans and vegetables but this meal was outdone by breakfast this morning of vegetable omelette, boiled eggs, toast, cassava, sweet potato and bananas. I was hoping to lose weight in Malawi not put it on!

Last week the school employed 2 housekeepers and 2 guards to take care of us all and Paul, Anne and I have decided to keep them on. It’s not really necessary but it gives them some much needed cash while giving us some extra security - and clean clothes! During my meeting with the head teacher this morning I asked how much they were being paid. I was shocked to find that they are getting about £10 a week each for a minimum 12 hour shift 7 days a week. I especially felt sorry for the night guard who stood outside our house in very cold weather from 6pm to 6am for just over a £1 a day.

The process has now started to select the 6 St. Peter’s students who will come to Scotland next May. The deadline for applications is on Fri with a written exam next week followed by interviews. It was hard enough choosing the St. Matthew’s pupils but this is much more difficult. This really is a chance in a lifetime for these young people, who most likely will never have been on a plane or even travelled outside Malawi. The ones who are not chosen will be very disappointed.

I was relieved to hear that the rest of the group are now safely back home in Scotland. Hope you are all enjoying your long lies without the 6am bells!!

Pawemi,

Bernadette

5 comments:

  1. All gone quiet now, Bernadette. Give them a chance to get their breath back. Unlike you they're not used to globetrotting.

    BW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty obvious who the Malawians see as the real leader of our link - fridge, kettle, hotplate - 'nuff said! Keep up the good work on the selction front - I take it you meant March for the visit rather than May.

    Glad to see you are still eating well.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wll we recognise you when you come home - what with the decadent style of living that the Malawians are trying to impose upon you!?
    Think I should be writing to Father Chunda to ask him to quarter your food bill!!
    Hope you have a successful few weeks, and an enriching time in helping to select the pupils for the return visit.
    Will blog my thoughts on the visit soon. Still too full of emulsion!

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't figure out how the hell to post a blog on my experience; have been trying for the past hour!
    I may have created a whole new account thing instead but it's all good, i'll figure it out... eventually.
    Good to hear you're eating well though!
    Awww Father Chunda, lol he's such a legend. It's weird as I keep waking up at ridiculously early times expecting to hear those angry growls with the bells (oh I mean the dogs as well Bernadette)
    Thanks very much for everything, stay safe and good luck with choosing the 6 pupils
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear that you're working just as hard now that we've gone. Can't absorb everything that we did yet - an amazing experience I will never forget. Semple said we'll have to bring you back to earth quickly on your return just to keep you grounded. Say hi to Fr Chunda and all in St Peter's.

    Keep up the good work - will hear how Paul and Anne are after the safari.

    Fran x

    ReplyDelete