Followers

Thursday 9 July 2009

Thu 9 July

Monire mose,

I was woken up around midnight last night with a commotion outside my room - it was Fr. Banda shouting Fr. Chunda. I then heard a car driving away and knew something was wrong in the parish. Fr. Chunda informed me before Mass this morning that a teacher in St. Peter's Primary had committed suicide. It's very sad as he has left a wife and children and nobody knows why he did it. He was at school as normal yesterday. After school he went for a drink, went home, had his supper and then when his wife went to bed he went into the kitchen and hanged himself. The group who were here may remember him as he was the only male teacher apart from the Headmaster.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of sympathy for him among the people but the priests have been very supportive. Usually the neighbours would gather outside the house for prayers straight away but they refused because it was suicide. It is very much frowned upon here and as a result his wife will not be treated very well by his relatives. I tried to explain that to be in that state of mind means he was not mentally sound and that it should be treated as any other illness. I told them that at home the family would receive even more support from relatives and friends because of the circumstances. It led to a very interesting discussion about cultural practices and burials. They told me that in the villages is someone hangs himself from a tree then a pit would be dug below and he would just be cut down to fall in the pit with no proper burial or funeral.

Ive just been to visit my old neighbours the Mhangos. It was a good 50 min walk, mostly over rough terrain, into a very poor area where they are not used to seeing mazungu. It was a bit disconcerting walking through the village with everybody staring and shouting azungu! Thankfully I managed to find the primary school where the mum works but she wasn't there so another teacher took the youngest,Emmanuel, out of class to take me to their house. Can you imagine a total stranger arriving at a primary school in Scotland and being allowed to take a 7 year old child away? I felt like Madonna walking through the village with Emmanuel holding my hand - cue even more stares! It was good spending time with the kids and giving them their gifts from Scotland. If I can remember Eric's instructions I'll try to add some photos tomorrow.

Tonight I have Irene and one of the nuns coming to watch my sister's wedding DVD. There will be much laughter when they see Fr. Naz in a kilt!

Pawemi,
Bernadette

8 comments:

  1. I'm don't know if it's possible, but if you ever speak to the wife of the teacher, could you please let her know that she is in my thoughts and prayers.

    Monica x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miss B,

    Hope that your feeling ok. This is really sad news for all the gang to hear because it was only days ago when we met this lovely and caring man. If able to, please send our thoughts and prayers to his wife and children. If there is any support needed, that you think we can help with, please let us know.

    Keep us up to date with your travels and experiences!

    Kind Regards,
    yer pal, Michael N. xxx

    P.S Keep yer chin up lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sorry to read about the teacher from St Peter's PS - please pass on the sympathies of everyone in St Matthew's to the school and to the family.

    There were lots of staff and former staff at Mary McArthur's funeral today - they are all asking for you. The funeral was naturally a sad occasion but the service was lovely (thanks, in no small part, to Canon Matt) and Mary's sister, Elizabeth, did a very touching and genuine eulogy. We spent much of the day reminiscing about many of the funny stories concerning Mary.

    Hope you're social life is helping you overcome your loneliness/homesickness.

    Elaine and I are off to Spain at stupid o'clock tomorrow morning so, unless I spot an internet cafe, this will be the last blog from me.

    Take care of yourself and tell all our frineds that I send my regards.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies for the spelling and grammatical errors - must be the Kuche Kuche I've just finished!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please pass on my sincere condolences to the teacher's family and assure them they are in our prayers.

    BW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about the suicide bernadette. Give my familys' condolences to his wife and children and we're all hoping and praying that they are being well cared for.
    Try not to feel too homesick, you're doing such amazing work out there!
    Hope you haven't found anymore spiders in your bedroom, it wouldnt be as much fun without frannie to scare anyways.
    Pawemi,
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miss,
    So sorry to hear about the suicide. our thoughts and prayers are with his family. hope it hasn't been to distressing for you and keep up the good work. Don't worry, we haven't forgotten about you! Will try to keep up with the blog in Portugal.

    Good luck!
    Micky D xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bernadette, Do you have an e-mail address which you can access? I've something to send which is to big for a blog, I found it helpful, you can decide if the teacher's family would. I'll send it as an attachment. let me know at walsh55@gmail.com

    BW

    ReplyDelete